How to Study Abroad For Free –Studying abroad entails high costs. Not everyone is able to bear the financial burden that comes along with studying overseas. However, the good news is that you can now study abroad for free or endeavour to avail 100% scholarships. Bonus: cost free education abroad! There are various ways through which you could achieve this goal. Some of these include scholarships, grants, assistantships, etc.
Top Ways of How to Study Abroad for Free:
Let us look in detail at some of the ways by which one could avail a cost free education:
- Select a suitable study destination:There are certain countries in which the universities do not charge a tuition fee. Germany and France are good examples. However, the medium of instruction in such free courses would be the local language. Hence, be sure to thoroughly research the course requirements before applying to these universities. Also, you need to be a resident of the EU in order to avail this.
- Select a degree to get scholarships:The degree that you choose to pursue also plays an important role in helping you get 100% scholarships for study abroad. For example, if you select an MS course, you are more likely to get a scholarship for it than if you select a MBA course. MBA is viewed as a commercial degree with huge returns. Hence, universities are less likely to offer subsidies on these courses. Furthermore, if you choose a field which lacks professionals or if you choose a research topic that is given priority in that particular university, the chances of you getting a scholarship is high.
- Choose to study abroad early on in your career: Another tactic is to apply for admission to universities abroad in your early twenties. This will increase your chances of getting a scholarship. Many universities abroad offer scholarships and fellowships at the graduate level. When you apply early on in your career, you are likely to have a low bank balance which increases the chances of getting some sort of financial support.
- Get high scores on the entrance tests:All universities compete against each other to stay on the top. Hence, they prefer students with high GMAT and GRE scores as it improves their reputation. Excellent scores on the GMAT, GRE and other entrance exams would definitely give you an edge over other students and increase your chances of getting financial assistance.
- Graduate Assistantship: Many top universities might not offer 100% scholarships to international students. However, they might offer alternative financing options like Graduate Assistantship (GA). Here, the student would be required to teach some introductory courses (Teaching Assistantship) or act as a research assistant to a senior faculty member (Research Assistantship). This type of arrangement benefits both parties as the student gains valuable work experience along the way and the university/department gets their work done without having to spend on outside resources.
- Fellowships: A fellowship is a kind of financial aid that allows you to acquire a master’s degree or a doctoral degree free of cost. You may be funded through your country or other private/public funds. You may directly apply to a fellowship program through your university or may have to apply for the fellowship through the public/private fund administering the fellowship program.
- Demographic and institutional scholarships: Many universities also offer special scholarships to attract top candidates. Institutional scholarships may be awarded on the basis of certain criteria. The candidates may be required to participate in certain activities of the college or participate in a student volunteer project. Some universities also offer scholarships to a specific minority group in order to encourage students from these groups to join their university. However, merely being a part of the minority group does not guarantee admission into the university. You will still have to compete with peers of your group in order to obtain the scholarship.
These are some of the ways by which you would be able to acquire free education abroad. However, all these methods require a great deal of preparation and planning. Hence, give a great deal of thought to all these factors while planning to study abroad.